Adding alt text to images
We know that students have different needs… and it’s up to us to ensure that we are meeting those needs in the educational setting. So how can you get started down that path to making your online content more accessible… and more user friendly for all your students?
One easy way to get started is with alt text. When you add an image, adding alt text will help to ensure that your learners who may need a screen reader can understand the importance of the image. Alt text also displays if an image cannot be loaded.
Here’s how you can do that:
- In Blackboard, make sure Edit mode is on.
- Create or edit an Item
- Click the Insert/Edit Image button on the toolbar (check out the image below for help finding the button!
- In the Insert/Edit Image window enter a description of the image in Image Description, and enter a title for the image in the Title space.
- Click Update to save it.
Adding alt text to your course banner
Alt text can also be added to the course banner. Here’s how you can do that!
- In the Course Management Control Panel area, select Customization
- Select Teaching Style
- In the Teaching Style window, scroll down to Select Banner
- Add your banner as needed, and enter alt text for the banner in the Banner Alt Text box
- Click Submit to save it.
Congratulations! You’re on your way to a more accessible course!
Remember… you can always contact OC Global for guidance and assistance. We are here to help!
- Sabina (email@example.com) ext.6893
- Jennifer (firstname.lastname@example.org) ext.6649
- Julie (email@example.com) ext.6659
- Or you can reach all of us: firstname.lastname@example.org